Header Ad

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Single Pot Pasta

Hello sweeties!


Wow. I am SO sorry that I haven't been on here in so long. As soon as I got settled into my parents house (yes, I am living there now), I hopped back off to DC to help my sister get settled into her new digs and classroom for the better part of 2 weeks. I had a ton of photos and a mile-long post prepared, and then one of the last days there we went to the beach and I got awful 2nd degree sunburns all over, including my face. After that all motivation to have energy to do anything besides ice my face and smother myself in aloe completely left me.

By the time I got back home to Indy I was so focused on the job hunt and diving headfirst into my internship and applying for grad school that blogging quickly lost its spot on my must-do list.

Fear not though! I am back. And I am going to keep making a conscious effort to update this puppy more. Living at home has opened up a lot of "me-time". Basically since my social life has restricted itself to maybe on the weekends if at all, I've had a lot of time to craft, cook, bake, and work-out. Which means I should have plenty of things to share with you all, granted I remember to take photos.

Today though, beautiful friends, I took plenty of photos and I have a new recipe to share with you all. Its absolutely delicious and you cook everything in one pot! And one cutting board too, if we're counting.




All you need for 4 and some leftovers is

1 box of linguini (or spaghetti or angel hair, whatevs)
1 10 oz box of cherry tomatoes
1 8 oz box of baby 'bella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 white onion, cut into small strips
2 sprigs of basil (or a small handful)
2 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons of EVOO
4 cups of chicken broth (I always use all natural low sodium)
Dried oregano
A few dashes of pepper flakes
Salt & pepper
Grated parmesan & mozzarella

Simply cut all of your veggies into thin strips, except the basil- I left it whole. Do with it what you please though!


& dump it all into one big cookin' pot on the stove, on top of your pasta. If the pasta doesn't fit in the pot, just snap it in half! Then pour in your broth and EVOO, and add your spices. Definitely do not add the cheese. Just had to say it :)


Bring the pot to a boil. Once it starts to bubble, take it down to a simmer and make sure to stir it pretty often. Keep it simmering until all of the broth has evaporated. While waiting (it takes about 20 - 30 minutes for this to happen), pour yourself a glass of your favorite vino!


Just popped open a bottle of Barefoot's new Refresh "crisp white" wine. I definitely like a glass bottle of bubbly every now and then, and this was a very nice take on it. Not nearly as bubbly as a glass of champagne, but just enough to give it a little kick. It was definitely sweet, but perfect for a warm fall evening. It was also ridiculously cheap! So, if you're into yummy and budget friendly wine, I'd definitely recommend it!

Don't get too distracted with your beverage, or your homework though! I definitely got a bit too focused on my cell biology discussion paper and forgot to stir as often as I should've. And unfortunately when the broth had boiled away and I put the gorgeous pasta into a bowl, this happened...


Yes, tragically some of the noodles got stuck to the bottom of the pot. And were a bit crispy. So, learn from my mistakes- check and stir the pasta often! You don't want to burn it, and in a dish like this it is rather easy to do.

Luckily 99% of the pasta was perfectly fine. Rounded up mom and dad for dinner, put some of the mozzarella and parm on top, and tucked in.


I'm definitely pumped for leftover night tomorrow, now!

 
Skimlinks Test