Header Ad

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Instagram Sunday

Dishes done, laundry in the wash, workout completed, wine poured.




I don't know what you are getting up to tonight, but I'm happily settling down for a lazy end to a most certainly not lazy weekend.

As I'm sure you can deduce from my steady lack of blog posts, I've been busy (sorry!!!). And not just this weekend. So, I thought- what better way to fill in the blanks than with an abridged version of what I've been up to for the past 2 and a half months. And what better way to do that than with some Instagram snaps?


For some reason, the Carolinas have a wonderful selection of Goose Island beer. For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, Goose Island is a magnificint brewery out of Chicago. They have all kinds of beer, ranging from light and wheaty (the 312) to the super crafty (I'd recommend the Sophie- its a bit harder to find though), to the super dark (I'm at a loss there- dark beer is not my spot of tea. or beer). Needless to say, I was jazzed at finding it down here. 



Tailgating. Its an entirely different experience down south. Up north, we wear oversized tanks and sweatshirts, leggings or norts, chucks and fannie packs. Comfies for the win. So, I was more than just a bit shocked when my roommate and I were discussing tailgate plans and she asked what dresses I had to wear. Dresses?! Luckily the gamecocks are garnet and black, so I just popped over to forever21 and picked up a few cotton little black dresses. What can I say? Any excuse to buy a new dress. I just dearly miss my fannie pack.



As soon as I decided to move to South Carolina, I was already planning beach trips. While it's still a bit of a hike from where I live, its definitely within a reasonable day trip distance. While in Indy, the nearest not-frigid beach was like... 4 lightyears away or something. Sadly, I've only been to the beach once so far, but once is better than not at all! Still, its blissful to know that a beach getaway is just 2 hours away.


One thing I love is food. One thing I love about being in a new place is finding new places to eat. And Columbia has plenty of wonderful restaurants to wander into. After celebratory post-exam drinks, a few classmates and I wandered into Gervais & Vine for some nibbles, and of course more drinks. They have an extensive wine menu, with unique food options and an extremely friendly and knowledgabe staff. Its a tapas restaurant, so there's more than something for everyone! Definitely a spot high up on my list of places to return to, soon.


A couple weeks ago, I had the opportunity to attend a symposium up at the Greenwood Genetics Center. It was a fantastic day, focusing entirely on talks dedicated to the treatment of genetic diseases. So often in studying genetics it feels as though what we have is what we're stuck with- so this day-long talk was a great reminder that there are ways to change our deck of cards. Of course, the GGC has many wonderful named roads, so the roomie and I couldn't help but have our driver pull over and snap a pic of us in front of this gem of a roadsign. 

I've definitely had more time for myself and for fun than I originally thought when moving down here. Not that I am complaining in the slightest! I've definitely had a blast getting to know the area and making new friends. Of course, I didn't move down here just for the fun. So, while I've been getting up to quite a few adventures in the past 2 months, I've defintely been doing my fair share of work. After all, all play and no work... wait. That sounds magnificent. 


Sasha has been getting things done too, of course. #productivity.

Speaking of work, I unfortunately have a spot of reading I need to graze over before I head back to the grindstone tomorrow morning. Time to pour some more wine and read a book. 

Goodnight!











 
Skimlinks Test